Friday, January 30, 2015

The Blog With Exactly 40,320 Entries


Most Exalted Reader, I shall relate to you Wonders Beyond what you have heretofore considered Wonders, wonders so vast you will think that I, Your Humble Narrator, am Surely Exaggerating, but I Swear to you, Dear Reader, that everything which follows is as True as the Accounts of Dante to Places Most Wonderful, of Robinson Crusoe to Places Most Remote.  Prepare yourself, Dear Reader to Be Astounded and Amazed.

I have Seen a Blog which has exactly 40,320 entries.  Perhaps the Blog is in Babylon, that Most Magnificent City.  Perhaps not. To reach the Blog you Must travel Paths Most Serpentine.  The traveler must choose the right path despite the myriad of Forks in the path, one path leading onward to the Blog, one path leading back to the internet you are currently using.  I have been to the end of this road, I have seen the Blog with exactly 40,320 entries.  I have returned to the internet on which these reflections are being written.  I do not know how to return to the Blog with exactly 40,320 entries; my memory fails about the path.  But, I have seen the Wonders of the Blog with exactly 40,320 entries.  And what I tell you is True.

There is a book.  The book exists in this realm,  You can buy it in the Amazon if you so desire.  The book tells tales of other books, books which you cannot buy in the Amazon, books which have been lost or are difficult to discover.  The Book you can buy is merely a pale reflection of the books you cannot buy.  But the stories in the Book which you can buy are enough to give a picture of Books even more fabulous and wonderful.  In one part of the Book which you can buy, you can read about the works of Herbert Quain.  Herbert Quain has written a Novel Most Magnificent.  A novel which is glorious to comprehend.  The novel begins with a chapter.  It is followed by three chapters, each of which could serve as the chapter before the initial chapter.  That is followed by nine chapters, three of which could be a precursor to the second chapter, three of which could be a precursor to the third chapter, and three of which could be a precursor to the fourth chapter.  This most magnificent novel of Herbert Quain is thus Nine novels, all of which have the same concluding chapter which is arrived at through one of three intermediate paths and begin at one of nine different starting places.  The nine novels embedded into this larger novel are all extraordinarily different despite ending with the same chapter.  I would like to read this novel by Herbert Quain, but it is not available in the Amazon.  All I can read is the account of this novel in the Book you can buy in the Amazon.

The Book you can buy also describes a library.  The library has many books.  Perhaps an infinite number of books.  It contains, it is rumored, every book which has been written and every book which ever could have been written.  There is in this library a catalog of all the book is the library.  There are also catalogs of all the books which would be contained in a different library of all the books which have been written and which could have been written.  There are catalogs which are incomplete.  There are catalogs which are incorrect  There is every catalog which could have been composed.  We do not know the location where the true catalog resides.  But, it exists.   Surely, it exists.

The Book you can buy also describes six other worlds of books, each of which is more magnificent than the books you can buy in the Amazon.  The book you can buy has a title.  It is The Garden of Forking Paths.  It may have other titles in other libraries.  It was written by Jorge Luis Borges, who may have different names in different books.  I did not read a book with the title The Garden of Forking Paths.  I read a book with the title Collected Fictions.  That book was compiled by Andrew Hurley.  Andrew Hurley does not explain how he knows that The Garden of Forking Paths is fiction.  There may be other books with the title Collected Nonfictions which contain The Garden of Forking Paths.  The book I have with the title Collected Nonfictions does not contain The Garden of Forking Paths.

But I have seen the Blog with exactly 40,320 entries.  And Dear Reader you will be amazed at what I have seen.  The Garden of Forking Paths contains eight stories.  The stories do not seem to be related to one another; they tell tales of different worlds and different books.  But, oh Dear Reader, I have seen the Blog with exactly 40,320 entries.  And the eight stories in The Garden of Forking Paths are not unrelated.  They contain a single tale.  I did not know they contained a single tale until I saw the Blog with exactly 40,320 entries.  But I have seen the Blog with exactly 40,320 entries and I swear to you Dear Reader, that The Garden of Forking Paths is not 8 unrelated stories, but one story containing those eight parts.  The Blog of exactly 40,320 entries shows how the stories are connected. 

Ah, Dear Reader, you misunderstand me.  Perhaps I do not explain Myself well.  Each Entry in the Blog with exactly 40,320 entries explains how the eight tales in The Garden of Forking Paths consists of one story.  Each Entry in the Blog with exactly 40,320 entries relates this larger story by putting the eight tales in The Garden of Forking Paths in the correct order and filling in the missing pieces between the entries.  There are 40,320 possible ways to arrange the eight tales in The Garden of Forking Paths. The Blog with exactly 40,320 entries shows that every one of those 40,320 orderings tells a complete tale.  Of those entries, 40,319 of them are fiction.  One of them is the Truth.  And I have seen it Dear Reader.  I know the Truth is in the Blog with exactly 40,320 entries.  But I do not know how to return to the Blog with exactly 40,320 entries in order to study the 40,320 entries and find the One True Entry.

I do not despair.  Perhaps, you Dear Reader will succeed where I have failed.  Perhaps you Dear Reader will find the True Entry in the Blog with exactly 40,320 entries.  I tell you this so that you may carry on where I have failed.     

No comments:

Post a Comment