Friday, January 22, 2010

Taking Jefferson's Advice

I had the occasion to reread George Nash's Books and the Founding Fathers. It's a short book--a lecture, plus a number of appendices. A great description of the importance of books to those forming the United States. The dominant impression it leaves--I should really read a lot more than I do. Jefferson once sent a young lawyer a reading list and a schedule--it entailed reading for 12 hours a day. Now that would be a good amount of time to devote to books, wouldn't it? Alas, Life intrudes.

The book also reminded me of a play I have often seen mentioned in discussions of the Founders, but never read: Addison's Cato. I have known this for years, and every time I see it mentioned I think I should really read it, but I don't own a copy and I never think to buy one. I am writing this paragraph solely to see if it is enough to induce me to finally read the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment