Friday, July 13, 2012

A Bloke Called Plum

As I have noted before in this space (well, at least I think I have noted this before, it seems like the sort of thing I would have noted before, but this blog has been going on long enough that I now no longer remember what I have written (Egads!  Now I am wondering if I have already written a parenthetical aside on the fact that I can no longer remember what I have written in this blog (Fortunately, I am pretty sure I have not heretofore had a parenthetical aside on a parenthetical aside on this topic, so at least this third (and mercifully penultimate) parenthetical aside is new))), I am not a big fan of biography (curiously, if I had just started this blog post with the final clause of this sentence, neither the aforementioned nor the current parenthetical asides would have been necessary, and yet the topic for this blog post, instead of being buried in a plethora (I’ve always liked that word) of parentheses, might be apparent to the casual reader (as if such a being ever visited these provinces)).  Biographies tend to bore me.  While I can thoroughly enjoy a chapter or an article about someone’s life, a book-length treatment has far too many details about which I really don’t care.  I suspect that someday I will discover I love biographies after all, and then there will be a whole new set of books on my “To Read” list.  But right now, said list is really short on biography. There are a few odd biographies on that list, but most of them are there because there is something about the book other than the biography itself which intrigues me.

So, when a few years back Robert McCrum wrote a critically acclaimed biography of P.G. Wodehouse, I wasn’t even tempted to read it.  I heard many times how amazing it was, but the thought of actually reading it never crossed my mind.  Then a former student gave me a copy of the book.  Now, as I know I have noted before, I do read books which are given to me as gifts, so I was suddenly faced with the clash of general rules: 1) Never Read Biographies; 2) Always Read Books Given to You as a Gift.  Solution:  Plane Book.  I took it on my recent trip to a conference in Halifax.  (Halifax review:  a really dull city.  Sort of like the boring parts of Boston.  I have no idea why anyone would ever go there for vacation.)

Much to my surprise, I enjoyed the book.  (The book is cleverly titled Wodehouse: A Life.  McCrum seems to have received the memo that requires all books to have a colon and subtitle.  After all, if it had just been titled Wodehouse, we might have thought it was Wodehouse: A Death.)  It wasn’t hard to figure out why I enjoyed reading it—any book which has extensive excerpts from Wodehouse’s prose is bound to have extensive parts which are funny, really funny.  But, even with all the Wodehousian excerpts, by the end, I was really glad to be done.  The book is at its best when talking about his fiction.  The endless details about his missteps in WWII just weren't that interesting—I understand why documenting what happened is really important in a biography of the man, but that doesn't mean I enjoyed reading the documentation.  Yes, Wodehouse was really silly.  Yes, the Nazis took advantage of a naif.  Yes, the British public was understandably outraged.  Yawn.

I followed up reading the biography with reading Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit. I’m pretty sure that was the first time I have read this particular Jeeves and Wooster story.  (It’s hard to be sure, since the basic plot of every Jeeves and Wooster story is the same.)  What fascinated me was reading this book right after reading the biography had a curious side effect—I could see all the wires in the development of the plot.  Wodehouse writes in a careless, off-hand way (part of his extraordinary talent), but after reading all about Wodehouse, I noticed the craftsmanship in putting together the story.  Seeing the understructure, I can also say that this Jeeves and Wooster novel is not one of his best—the problem/solution dynamic is more serially organized (problem1-solution1-problem2-solution2-etc) than overlapping (problem1-problem2-problem3-solution to problem 2-problem4-etc.).  But, and this is the amazing thing about Wodehouse’s career, even this book is still stunning in its ability to show us part of the human condition. 

People don’t laugh enough.  Oddly, as we learn in Wodehouse: A Life, Wodehouse himself didn’t laugh enough.  Life is Funny.  Wodehouse shows us that Life is Funny.  So, if you haven’t read Wodehouse lately, do so soon.  A Wodehouse book cannot fail to help put everything back into perspective.  Which is also, by the way, the best explanation of why the story of Wodehouse and the Nazis should be seen as a comedy of errors.  Yes, the Nazis were evil, and yes, Wodehouse was a useful idiot, but even still, we should be able to laugh at the Nazis (think Hogan’s Heroes (would it even be possible to make that TV show today?)) without being accused of believing they did not commit great crimes. 

And, just so this doesn't end on a note about the nature of evil, here is a biography I have long really liked.


No comments:

Post a Comment