Thursday, June 10, 2010

Dodgertown

1. Yesterday, at the end of the day's discussions of Hayek, a few of us went over to Dodger Stadium to watch the game.  It was the first time I had been to Dodger Stadium since I was a kid.  Great game--the Dodgers won 4-3; in the top of the 9th the Cardinals had runners on 2nd and 3rd before the Dodgers got the final out.  Manny hit a home run. Kershaw had 10 Ks.  Motte hit 100 mph on his fast ball.  And Broxton came in to close to the tune of Iron Man--great song for a closer.  Perfect weather (shocking, I know).  Dodgerdogs were not quite as exciting as I remembered them, though. 

2  The seminar itself is going well; I am learning a lot.  Of course whether what I am learning will have any relevance for humanity is the sort of question that plagues all academics.  We like to pretend this sort of thing matters because the alternative is pretty depressing.

3. Lunch today was Mexican food--the world's best cuisine.  It is funny that hotel-catered Mexican food in California is better than the best Mexican food available at any restaurant in western MA.  Why is that?

4. In the book review department:  I recently finished rereading Richard John Neuhaus'  Death on a Friday Afternoon.  It is the text of a Good Friday sermon series he preached on the traditional text for such events, the Seven Last Words of Christ.  Rather Neuhausian, not surprisingly.  I reread it because I couldn't really remember what he said in the book.  In rereading it, I now know why I couldn't remember what he said--the book wanders all over the place, which is exactly the way everything Neuhaus wrote ends up.  Lots of interesting little tidbits, but I am not at all sure to what all the tidbits add up.  I'll probably end up reading it again in a decade or so because I won't remember what it said and I will get to wondering again. 
 

1 comment:

  1. Question 3 is deserving of an answer. All the world's cuisine can be found locally, except authentic Mexican. It occurs to me that perhaps I can be often fooled on the other stuff, but I know what Mexican food tastes like and this is not it.

    ReplyDelete