Thursday, May 6, 2010

Addition by Subtraction

In Sports News:

1) I have been a Raiders fan for a long time now. I cannot remember a day when I felt such an overwhelming sense of relief. The Biggest Bust of All Time was just cut. Good riddance.

It has actually been a remarkably good past few weeks for the Raiders; my hopes for next season have skyrocketed. The Russel Saga is over; Jason Campbell is at least an average QB; their draft was fantastic; Hue Jackson sounds like the real deal as an offensive coordinator. And Davis seems to have finally seen the light--what was that about old dogs and new tricks?

Maybe, just maybe, they are a .500 team again. And .500 teams sometimes go 9-7 and make the playoffs. And sometimes 9-7 teams win Super Bowls.

Don't laugh. I can feel it.

2) Clara's team won their first softball game. She has a very good team. The coach is great--he really likes to win, and teaches the girls a lot, but he also realizes it is just a game and is supposed to be fun.

I love going to Clara's games. There is very little that is as relaxing as sitting out on a sunny day watching your daughter play softball.

3. If, given the choice between the Raiders having a good year and Clara's team having the good year, I would pick the Raiders, does that make me a bad father?


In non-sports related news, the last day of classes was yesterday. By next week, the bulk of my grading will be done. Summer is almost here.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely an evening post:) I like that I can know absolutely nothing about football and still enjoy this post; After seeing your excitement at Clara's game....it's hard to imagine what your reaction is when the Raiders win....

    ReplyDelete
  2. How old is Clara now? And Lily? And Emma??? In my mind, they're all still babies.

    ReplyDelete