Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Should I watch a movie tonight?

For a few weeks now, I have been puzzling over whether to add movie reviews to the blog. On the one hand it might be interesting to force myself to actually think of something to say about a movie after I watch it. On the other hand, once I start writing up movie reviews, I know it will turn into a compulsion, and I'll feel the psychic need to actually think of something to say after every movie. So, my puzzle is whether starting it to find out how interesting it would be is worth the risk of discovering it is tedious and then feeling the need to do it anyway.

Now, I know what you are thinking, because I am thinking it too. Why not start writing up movie reviews and then if it is tedious, just stop? A perfectly reasonable suggestion, but I know myself too well. You see, watching movies for me is both enjoyable and an academic exercise. It's the latter than needs some explanation.

I like movies--which in some ways is odd because I don't like to watch TV, and I am not sure why there is such a big difference in my mind between watching a movie and watching TV. For some reason, I don't mind at all the prospect of spending 2 hours watching a movie that isn't particularly good, but I can't stand the idea of watching television programs for 2 hours. I cannot honestly say that this is because there is some inherent quality difference between movies and TV shows--the worst movies are pretty bad and the best TV shows are excellent. I wonder if it is the commercials that really bother me about TV--for example, watching old TV shows on DVD doesn't bother me as much--but then commercials really aren't that much of an intrusion--on the other hand, I would never watch a movie being shown on network television. So, if it is just commercials, why does the prospect of commercial interruptions annoy my subconscious so much?

The other possible explanation for the reason I think movies are so different than TV may be related to the fact that I hate not finishing things. I hate not finishing books. Every now and then I don't finish a book I start, but the book has to be really, really bad and really long for me to stop. Movies all end in short order. But TV shows? Well, they keep going week after week. So, they never feel done and then I feel the need to see the next episode. I notice this when I watch TV shows on DVD--I am reluctant to start watching a series because I know once I start, I'll feel obligated to watch the whole run of the show. And if the show is bad, then I'll feel this lingering sense of vague guilt for not finishing watching all the episodes of the show. Years ago, for example, I started watching the first season of 24 on DVD--I kept hearing how good it was--I hated it, really really hated it. I stopped halfway through season 1. I still feel bad about this. Also, years ago, Janet talked me into starting Lost. We got Season 1. I made it through three episodes. I still feel bad about this too. Every now and then, I think I should go back and watch the rest of each of those shows. So, if you ever want to make me feel bad, ask me what I thought of 24 or Lost, and when I start to tell you, ask, "Well, did you watch it all the way through?"

So, to return to the point (yeah, I know), I'm afraid that if I start to write movie reviews, I'll feel a compulsion to watch enough movies to make writing reviews of them worthwhile. But, when I watch a movie, I am not reading a book, and I always feel a vague sort of guilt when I am not reading a book (this is a serious psychological problem, by the way). But, I like movies, so I watch them anyway. I also like playing Madden, and I feel guilty about that too. (By the way, it is absurd that Brady Quinn--Brady Quinn!!--completed 16 straight passes in the second half leading the Brows to victory last night--I hate when Madden cheats.) (And, yes, yesterday was Janet's birthday, but I didn't play Madden until after she was asleep, so it is OK. Oh, I had read for an hour before I played Madden, so that is OK too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment