Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Pearls, Girls and Scott Brown

Until a week ago, I never thought I would see the day when there was a Republican Senator from Massachusetts.

When Obama was elected in 2008, I told everyone who would listen that the President he would most resemble was Jimmy Carter, that he would be terribly ineffective and indecisive and that his popularity would plummet within a year. I also predicted that sooner or later the media was going to realize they had backed the wrong horse and when they turn on him, they will turn with a vengeance--that last part hasn't happened yet, but sooner or later it will.

If anyone reads the Brown victory as anything other than an ringing statement that the Democrats have seriously overreached, they just aren't paying attention. It's chaos in Washington. The GOP is going to win big in November.

Once upon a time I would have been excited about a GOP victory in November. But, then after seeing what happened the last time the GOP ran both houses of Congress, I am not terribly thrilled. Republicans in Power do nothing, literally nothing. Democrats in power do silly things, and nothing is better than silly, but it would sure be nice if there was a Party which would do Good Things.

On a related note, I read P.G. Wodehouse's Pearls, Girls and Monty Bodkin. No plot summary is necessary--read one Wodehouse, read 'em all. They are always funny and always make me smile.

Something noteworthy: I read Wodehouse because after reading American Gods, I really wanted to read a book I knew I would like. I'd never read this particular Wodehouse before, but I was certain I would enjoy it, and I did. Here is the interesting psychological bit, which I just realized while composing this post: the thing that disappointed me about the Gaiman book was that it was the same as his other books; the thing I liked about Wodehouse is his book is the same as his other books. The difference can be explained (Wodehouse is perfection and his formula never goes stale), but it is interesting nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment