Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Vagaries of Fortune

Until now, I have never once given Fortune Cookies a second thought.

Last night I was out with Lily on our annual Dinner and Christmas Shopping Expedition. (I take each of the kids out individually every year. (And, yes, I take Janet out too. (Christmas is the only time of year I enjoy shopping.))) As part of our yearly ritual, Lily chose the restaurant. She wanted Japanese food so she picked the Teapot. Now the Teapot is one of those old-style Fusion restaurants where they combine cuisines not by interesting combinations of ingredients, but by having two sections on the menu (Chinese and Japanese). We, as was noted, had Japanese food. Good dinner, good company (Lily is always fun). At the end of our meal, they brought us fortune cookies; not Japanese Fortune Cookies, but Chinese ones. I suppose I should have had culture shock, but I didn't. I opened my cookie to reveal my fortune. My jaw dropped; my heart stopped. Well, OK neither of those happened, but they could have, though if the latter had happened, I suppose I wouldn't be writing this now. (Which, come to think of it presents an interesting puzzle: Is there blogging in Heaven? But, I digress.)

My fortune (to return to the point) read in its entirety, with line break preserved:

Force equals too much effort equals
too little being equals enough.
.
I am seriously undecided: should I forget the whole thing or spend the rest of my life trying to figure out what that means?

1 comment:

  1. Confucius say, "Force = too much/
    Effort = too little/
    Being = enough."

    ReplyDelete